Saturday, January 17, 2009

I found time management and planning to be the most important aspects of the week. Time is valuable but very limited. During each day of observing I encountered many interuptions from office phone calls and the students themselves. Because of these interuptions my days were condensed even more. So, in order to be prepared as a teacher I will have to make the best use of every minute of the day.
Planning is essential to make great connections. After observing this week it is even more obvious that each and every lesson has to be structured to make the proper connections with the students for learning to occur.
This past week was mainly observing so i did not get much of a chance to want to change a specific part of the week. If i had to choose something to change I would have liked to have met and spoke with more of the teachers at this school.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that time management is very important. One important aspect of that for me, is to be able to prioritize tasks and focus on one at a time. If you look at everything at once, it can be somewhat like entering a disaster zone and trying to figure out where to start (If you've seen the movie with Tom Hanks called "Turner and Hooch," the scene when he gets home from shopping for his dog comes to mind haha).

    Fortunately for me I was able to meet more teachers and administration than I can remember the names of. I've already obtained valuable resources and made some great contacts. So far it has been a great experience and I'm eager to continue in building relationships with the students and co-workers.

    I hope that everything continues to go well for you! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that time management is a very important aspect of the student teaching experience. I feel that you need to utilize every moment possible to fully prepare yourself to be a great teacher. I hope you continue to enjoy this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob,
    That previos post from Brett is really my post. My computer was signed in under my husbands name when I posted it an did not realize it until I was finished. Well I hope everything continues to go well for you the next fifteen weeks.
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that it has been a good week for you. I definitely can understand about managing your time because of interruptions. At my school, there sure was plenty that went on in a single day. I did observe that the teachers just quickly picked up from where they left off no matter what the interruption was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time management is going to be the name of the game this semester I think. I feel there is so much for us to keep up with that we will need to take advatage of every moment we have! I hope you week has been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Rob! Time management is key to rich learning for students and smart instruction for teachers. Managing the time we have in the classroom for our students and ourselves is the essential in being the best you can be in education.

    Here is a great resource for time management tips for new teachers.

    http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/collection.jsp?id=330

    Also, get to know those fellow teachers. That, too, is so important in the happiness factor for new teachers in any school district.

    ReplyDelete