Saturday, March 14, 2009

March 14, 2009

I finished compiling the data from my survey after I responded to my blog last week. So, I did not get a chance to discuss my survey. However, some of the responses to my survey were very suprising to me in a positive way. Although, I did recieve the small percentage responses like, "he bothers me by asking me questions when I am in a bad mood". And, "I would not want to have him as my teacher again. These responses were very few. I was surprised by the fact that nearly eighty five percent of the students would like to have me as a teacher again while twelve percent of them were unsure. This was very uplifting for me as I finished compiling the data from my survey as I knew I have made a positive impact on my students.

Other areas of the survey were not suprising. For example, the students responded by stating I have to speak louder while teaching my lesson. I already knew this and have been increasing the volume of my voice since I recieved the results of my survey.

So, I believe the most valuable part of the week was the survey itself. It was my report card from the students themselves. And I know they gave me a passing grade as their teacher.

Friday, one of my students, who is always on the edge of outbursts, began class by printing a few of his typed pages. Students were not supposed to be printing at this time but I heard the printer turn on and begin printing. As I walked to the printer and remove the pages from the printer, I noticed this student had printed a harmless page with his name on it. But, the two additional pages that followed were a problem for me. Each page was filled with vulgar language. I politely asked him to come to my desk. But, I did not get a chance to discuss this with him because he immediately screamed at the other students with more vulgarities. I knew I had to calm this situation. However, this situation was far from calm. He turned toward the door and walked out slamming the door behind him. My co-op and I tried to get him to come back and discuss the situation but he insisted on going to the principal's office. After this situation unfolded, it is not known if this student printed the vulgarities. It is possible another student was the culprit. This situation spanded over about twenty seconds. I believe I reacted professionally but I think I could have handled it better. I knew he was ready to walk out in a moments notice and I did not want this to happen. Because this student is on the edge, I should have asked the student to discuss this matter with me in the hallway to avoid the disruptions that followed. If there is one thing I could change this week it would have been this situation.

1 comment:

  1. Student surveys tell us a lot about how students perceive us in the classroom. Even though the surveys are anonymous, sometimes I wondered if the data realistically represented my performance in the classroom. Generally, most students are nice and it is not in their nature to answer negatively, while others just check anything to finish it and be done. Others will take it out on you if they are having a bad day.

    True, student surveys are an excellent tool to gain feedback from students and I did this at the end of every year or marking period if the course only lasted for a marking period, however, you can’t take the data personally or trust that all of it is exactly true. It is a way to empower our students and let them know that their opinion and feedback count.

    ReplyDelete