Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 13-17, 2009

I started this week by telling each class I was only going to be here another two and a half weeks and any late or missing assignments had to be submitted by next Friday. The assignments were my assignments and I wanted them to be turned in to me to be graded. I did not expect my co-op to assume responsibility of any assignments I assigned. Most of them responded by telling me they do not want me to leave. I was a little overwhelmed by their reaction. Most, not all, vocally responded by saying they did not want me to leave. They did not fully understand my role here and kept asking me to stay. Of course, I told them I could not stay and my co-op would continue teaching class until the end of the school year.

When I began teaching at this school, I noticed a few of the students had behavioral problems in class. I knew, however, I could connect with these students and get most of them interested in my lesson. I did take my co-op's advise and showed them I liked them by talking to them about their interests. I spoke with them and showed them how their intersts are related to the content of the class I was teaching them. At the begining, these were the students who chose not to learn, but now, these students participate in classroom discussions sometimes more than others. This was the most valuable part of my week. I knew I could make an impact with these students as well as other students.

This week was a fairly normal week. However, I did make an error by failing to make copies of all of my handouts. Of the hundreds of copies of many different handouts I made this week, I forgot to copy one. Obviously, this was a mistake, but fortunately I was able to orally direct my students to the expectations of the assignment. I did make copies of the missing handout for the following day and for most, the assignment was a success. This is the part of my week I would like to change. I know I have to check and re-check everything needed for my lessons but somehow I forgot. I know that organiziation is of utmost importance and I will continue to strengthen my organizational skills.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have been able to connect to those students. I know that taking the time means so much to the students that we work with. Just one little thing can make a world of difference.

    It is wonderful that your students do not want you to leave. It is hard for them to understand what our role is as a student teacher but, they will some day.

    Having to make so many copies and making sure that we have everything ready is difficult. I glad that you were able to instruct those students and later give them the hand out.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organization and time management skills are so necessary as teachers moreso than for most careers. The students expect us, as well as administration and the parents, to always have our "act together".

    I used to do something in the classroom that helped me stay organized. It was my mission that I would not leave school the night before a school day until I had everything ready for the next day on my desk. That meant having all my handouts, assessments, materials, props, lessons, etc. ready and on my desk before I left school.

    This is additionally important in case of an emergency and I would not be able to be at school the next day. All resources were waiting for my substitute on my desk and there was no scurrying to get this information to my administration the day of the emergency.

    We have to be our own supervisor in the classroom to make sure we do the best job possible for all our stakeholders.

    ReplyDelete